{2014} November Reading

Monday, December 1, 2014
Books bought:
~ Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach (ebook)
~ Written in Red by Anne Bishop (ebook)
~ The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare [and others]
~ The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

Books received:
Aurealis Awards...
~ The Godless by Ben Peek
~ Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson

Review books...
~ Bad Romeo by Leisa Rayven

Books read:
~ Honour's Knight by Rachel Bach
~ French Milk by Lucy Knisley
~ Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
~ Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach
~ Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
~ Seraphina: The Audition by Rachel Hartman (Short Story)
~ Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan (AA)
~ The Eternity Gate by Traci Harding (AA)
~ Aftermath of Armageddon by Christopher Jackson-Ash (AA)
~ Evertween by Laila Savolainen (AA)
~ The Book of Days by K. A. Barker (R)
~ The Walking Man by Jiro Taniguchi
~ Written in Red by Anne Bishop
~ Forged by Desire by Bec Mcmaster
~ Inside Out by Will Elliott (AA)
~ The Shadow's Heat by K. J. Taylor (AA)
~ Wall of Spears by Duncan Lay (AA)
~ North Star Guide Me Home by Jo Spurrier (AA)

Eight Aurealis books this month! I'm making progress :D I need to keep upping that, though, as we are getting to the pointy end of the year, now. Nomination are coming in now before the final cut-off. Onwards and upwards! (up the ever-growing pile of books, that is... :P)

I finished the Paradox trilogy by Rachel Bach at the start of this month, and I really enjoyed it. I found it to be a good space opera type trilogy and, while I know some people had trouble with the romance, I still loved it. It showed a good mix of strong woman meets strong man, and also the choice to give in to love/connection with others. I am still thinking about it, and vaguely considering buying the trilogy in physical copy for my re-read shelf.

This month was actually really good for different stories/books that nonetheless pulled me in. Many of the books I read this month have had different reviews - some hating them, some loving them, some feeling not-so-much about them. Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss is a good example of this - many people picked it up with great excitement, only to find they didn't get what they expected. And I was one of those people, but that doesn't mean I didn't still love it. Auri is a fascinating and unique character, and I think Rothfuss gave her room to tell her own story, and I connected with it deeply.

Seraphina was another instant win with me - I am now impatiently waiting for the second book Shadow Scale, scheduled to come out next March.

And, just as a final mention, I am really loving Anne Bishop's The Others books - I am about a third of the way through the second book and finding it an excellent blend of danger and dark humour, but I have been a fan of Bishop for a while now - ever since a friend introduced me to her Black Jewels trilogy.

Currently I am reading: Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop, a review book, and a couple of AA books. What are you reading at the moment?

1 comment:

  1. Your heart. It is as deep and beautiful as the ocean.

    I may be slightly drunk on tiredness.

    ReplyDelete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top