Book Review: IDEA33 by Sheala Dawn Henke

Sunday, April 20, 2014
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...




Title: IDEA33 - A Regeneration
Author: Sheala Dawn Henke

Synopsis: "For each and every one of us, facing the future is an ordinary human condition, but what if hidden among the throngs of everyday commonalities were profoundly extraordinary possibilities? Nature, Essence and Creation - the fragile recipe for existence, rests on the balance of a unique trio of hope. Heli Clame doesn't know it yet, but he stands in the wake of a critical paradigm shift of the ages. Coming of age himself during a time of enhanced technology and decades lost to ecological devastation, he arrives at IDEA33 to join two others, Terra Sial and Dous Cistern. Unaware that together they hold the key to a positive evolution for the future here on earth, they soon learn their true identity and why they were created. The balance of all life on earth rests on the strength of their unity. Only then will they have the power to initiate a Regeneration."

My thoughts: I will be the first to admit that I don't jump into Science Fiction books very often (with Lois McMaster Bujold being the one glaring exception to this), so when I do pick up SF, I find it akin to taking a quick jaunt in an alternate dimension (which I guess is what you want).
IDEA33 is everything that is mentioned in the synopsis - it has amazing science (that I could only sometimes hear going whoosh straight over my head), an attempt to save the world, and teenagers with crazy names. I found Terra, in particular, to be a very interesting character, and how she develops during the story and her relationships with others only cemented my joy in having her in the story.
I must admit that sometimes I was a little too confused to understand what was going on. This wasn't just because of the science included (although that played a part), but because during the first forty percent or so of the book I felt like the story just kept going over the confusion of the main characters as to who they were and why they were in a new location, not often really drawing closer to any kind of resolution. I think certain parts at the start there could have been cut out so that the characters could catch up to where the reader was (I read the blurb before going into the book, and I feel like the characters might have benefited from doing the same...maybe. it was complex) so that they might have progressed a bit faster, as the pace was a little stilted at times. I think if the repetition had been removed, it would have felt a lot more urgent - not just for the characters, but for the reader - and that is kind of what you want when all life on earth rests on something happening during this book. I don't think I realised until the end of the book just how dire the circumstances were, so a little more urgency would have helped.
Overall, I enjoyed the characters and found this book to be entertaining. The author's voice is interesting, and I think with more practice she will begin to really flourish in SF novels.

I received an e-copy of this book for review from the author (thanks Sheala!).

You would like this book if: you like sciencey things; you enjoy reading about people trying to prevent an apocalypse (you interesting individual, you).

Rating: 6.5/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the review- so well done and so well received as I continue to learn and grow from each response to this first attempt at writing a novel. Working on the second in the series now with two more separate projects waiting in the pipeline. Meanwhile, I will be finishing out another amazing school year teaching and looking forward to the summer to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting! And I'm so glad you liked the review - it's great to hear some feedback myself, as often I feel like I'm sending things out into the abyss :P Your plans sound absolutely lovely!

      Delete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top